Learn More about This Sacrament
Confirmation is as simple as the Holy Spirit, who is God, increasing our faith so that we have the certainty that He’s with us until we arrive in Heaven, for which He also gives us hope. During this Sacrament, the Holy Spirit strengthens our ability to love Him and others more deeply. The Holy Spirit gives us seven gifts to help us do that.
In this case, it has to be a bishop who imposes his hands over the confirmandi and anoints him or her with oil (the Holy Chrism), while he says “I sign thee with the Sign of the Cross, and I confirm thee with the Chrism of salvation, in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit”.
- To receive the Holy Spirit: Catholics believe that during the Sacrament of Confirmation, the Holy Spirit comes to them in a special way. This can help them to be strong in their faith and to make good choices.
- To become a full member of the church: Catholics believe that when they receive the Sacrament of Confirmation, they become full members of the church community. It’s like graduating from a school or becoming an adult.
- To be strengthened in faith: Catholics believe that through the Sacrament of Confirmation, they are strengthened in their faith. It’s like getting an extra boost of confidence to help them live a good, Christian life.
In the Catholic Church, depending on the diocese or circumstance, the Sacrament of Confirmation can be received by
- baptized young people who already have their first communion in middle or high school
- adults joining the Catholic Church or those who have not yet received this sacrament
- children whose diocese uses the “restored order” of Confirmation
- High School Confirmation Mass: Typically at the end of April or May every year
- Adult Confirmation Mass: Easter Vigil Mass
If you have a passion for helping people prepare for the Sacrament of Confirmation, please consider serving as a volunteer minister for one of our Confirmation ministries!
And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit.